So, I finally received the chemistry to develop my first ever C-41 color film. The film used was the Fujicolor Superia X-Tra 800, pretty fast film, but that also introduced more grain in the images. I thought that I was going to screw it up, but it actually turned out more easier to do than Black and White film. There seemed to be less steps and chemicals used in color film, and the time intervals to agitate the film was less time consuming,
however, I will say that keeping the chemicals at 100 degrees F or above was a must.
The crazy part was the scanning process. You see, I don’t have a scanner that was specifically designed to scan 35mm film, so I had to improvise in many ways, and at the end, I decided…why not just use my light box and my DSLR to take the photos of the individual exposures, and this process worked out PERFECTLY! I was very surprised of the turn out. Before, I was using my scanner (for one, wasn’t built for this), and the images were always turning out a little blurry, words sometimes couldn’t be read by the viewer, but after using my light box, placing my film on top of the light, and using my dslr above the film, I was able to get some crisp photos from the film.
Individual letters were finally readable and not tough to see as they were when I used my scanner. Of course, before you can actually get the correct colors and range of each, you must first invert the color negative into a color positive, now, this I can easily do
straight from the scanner’s program, or I could just do it using Photoshop CC,
which I, in fact, used. This step was by far the most time consuming of them all because I had to adjust each color and make sure they look correct so that the image as a whole doesn’t look too blue, or too red, or too green. The process was a great learning experience nonetheless.